I listen to a lot of podcasts. The android app I use called “podcast addict” might be an apt description for my recent consumption of them.
A lot Almost all of the podcasts I listen to are Doctor Who related. I’ve been listening to new and back catalogue episodes of Verity!, Radio Free Skaro, the Memory Cheats, and the Tin Dog Podcast for months now. Despite all this fan inspired podcast listening I hadn’t stumbled on Web of Queer until fairly recently.
I’ve been binge listening to Web of Queer ever since this discovery. Web of Queer is comprised of a group of queer folks from a wide range of geographic backgrounds, ages, with varying experiences with Doctor Who and podcasting. The podcast is a great mix of reviews and discussions, often looking at bits of Doctor Who or media from a queer perspective. Reviews range from New to Classic to Big Finish to Books and the occasionally tangentially related media.
Some of my favourite episodes are the ones where the group has an in-depth discussion about queer representation on Doctor Who or about the use of gender and sexuality labels in fandom. A lot of these discussions are also a great starting point for anyone who is interested in learning more about the importance of language, representation, and the queer community. These discussions are also often accompanied by links to other relevant background reading. The episodes also include time stamps to you can skip to the discussion if you would prefer not to listen to a review as well. Some highlights include:
- Ep 006: Breaking into the Trans Dimension: Transgender discussion
- Ep 012: The Laws of Time Lord Attraction: Asexuality, Aromanticism and The Doctor
- Ep 020: Beneath the Surface: Heteronormativity
- Ep 023: Putting the I in Time: Intersex people
- Ep 030: Kiss Kiss Bi Pan: Pansexuality and Bisexuality discussion
- Ep 032: All About That Ace: Asexuality vs Unshown Sexuality discussion
- Ep 033: Newphoria: Gender Dysphoria discussion
- Ep 043: Face The Erasure: Bi-Erasure discussion
- Ep 048: You Keep Using That Word: I do not think it means what you think it means: Asexuality and Humanity
- Ep 051: Death in the Rainbow: Killing the gay character discussion
- Ep 053: A Tale In Two Parts: Romantic Orientations discussion
- Ep 054: Thoughts and Feelings: Experiences Outside Your Own Sexuality discussion